Sunday, May 10, 2009

Miss Orlon, Cranberry's & MORE...

The rain finally passed, and Jasper & I made TWO nice trips around our new beautiful place of residence. **PLUS - We made the Staunton news! We are certainly taking this place by storm. They love us here! We literally were stopping traffic with our cuteness. As we were walking, cars were stopping and commenting on Jasper's good looks! Check out our photo in today's Staunton News Leader, (click here!) We visited some stores and met many of the wonderful storeowners (an adorable antique shop and a clothing boutique were my favs along the way.) Jasper started to fall asleep in the Baby Bjorn, so we had to head back prior to exploring all of the shops. Then on Saturday, Pj was able to join us for another nice stroll, we ate some delicious pizza from Shenandoah Pizza and walked down some of the side streets. Here are some pics of our little adventure...

Diaperbag (check), Baby Bjorn (check), Jasper (check), Pj (check), Sunglasses (check)...LET'S GO!

We are on our way!

Almost there! A view of the main street, Beverley.


Star's Hollow


So, this place cracked me up. It is a wig shop of all things, but they had a display of Miss Orlon from 1949. They have her actual wig and cap from the competition! I love it. "Who is Miss Orlon?" you may ask yourself... (I found this on the internet.)

School’s window display honors co-founder: Students at Staunton School of Cosmetology have created a window display to honor Rose Swisher Thompson, a co-founder of the school, who recently passed away.
Along with hairstyles of the 1940s, the display’s main attraction features an antique ballroom robe and tiara that were given to Thompson on Oct. 15, 1948, when she was crowned the first-place winner of a Miss Orlon contest at the DuPont plant recreational hall in Waynesboro.
The items were found in a trunk by her husband, Boyd, after her passing, where they had been safely tucked away for 60 years.

Me and Jasper trying out some of the produce at our local organic market, Cranberry's. It is a fair trade coffee shop/cafe, as well as homeopathic pharmacy, bookstore and grocer. You can smell the patchouli as you greet the front door. love it.

Here is a look at some of the magnificent homes we passed on our walk...


My neighbors irises. I am so bummed I didn't get to see all of the flowers at our house on Armstrong this spring...but this huge array out our front window helps a little.



Here are some random pics from the week...




Me and my little brother! This is one of my alltime favorite photos...Honestly, I think it the best picture I have ever taken, (besides my kindergarten shot...that is a good one.)

Have a great week everyone! I will post soon with my Mother's Day going-on's and a tribute to my Mom.

Take care -
Kat & Jasper

1 comment:

jen mowrer said...

Wonderful post! I love reading up on you guys but it makes me SAD (poo poo poo) - miss you terribly...

Anywho, your photo in the paper is AWESOME and you look so stylish. It will probably get picked up in US Weekly.