Friday, May 8, 2009

Personal homage to Bravo's, Fashion Show & Nappy Dreads

Hi folks! So, who watched the premiere of Bravo's Project Runway replacement, The Fashion Show last night? I have it in my DVR queue...I can't wait to watch! I am interested in hearing your thoughts...how it compares, initial winner predictions, etc. Speaking of fashion, I found some old drawings within those treasure chests I spoke of earlier this week. In case you weren't aware, I had great promise in the field. At around age 10 I decided to scrap the whole archaelogist dream, and focus my talents within the haute couture industry. Similar to the present, I drew inspiration from the culture of the time. (You will know what I mean once you look below. Feel free to click on the links for a memory refresher.) I found beaucoup's of sketches, but given we are all celebrating the new spring season, I have posted those from chapters 2 & 3, thoughtfully titled "Spring Fashions" and "Evening Gowns" within my binder. (Just as a visual, the binder is a black 3-ring with "FASHIONS" written in hot pink fingernail polish.)

Table of Contents

Notice the attention to detail: hair, makeup and shoes are all addressed.

"I'm looking for a real love, baby...a real love...yeah, yeah, yeah" -Jody Whatley

Classic elementary teacher influences

Pamela Ewing, Dallas anyone?

Oh my Barbie days will forever live on...

My subscription to "Seventeen" begins...

The piece de resistance...my favorite movie of all time, Pretty In Pink...


Here is a funny reference, this is what I looked like at the time of creating those ground breaking designs above.

"My name is Katherine, CHECK...I am a Western, CHECK...I have brown eyes, CHECK, and I like the guys...CHECK ME OUT!"


I leave you with some old photos of my adorable husband...some vintage shots, circa 1993. These are of PJ and one of his college buddies in the George Washington National Forest...getting ready to jump off of a ginormous cliff. *Fyi, PJ is very scared of heights...I guess the nappy dreads gave him courage...




5 comments:

meganvenablesmith said...

Um, Kat, I love the Flirtations line. Bring. It. Back. I must have more.

jen mowrer said...

I'm with Megan, this is the BEST blog post I have ever read. MORE MORE MORE! I can't tell you how much I love it.

PS - Matt works with a fellow and his daughter is one of the designers on The Fashion Show, Danielle!

Katherine said...

No way!!! I love the six degrees. What did you think of the show? I liked the concept of having a multitude of buyers and designers judging each challenge. I am not sure about Kelly Rowland though...what does she know about fashion, she used to wear those gaudy ensembles by Beyonce's mom. GEESH.

Leah said...

OMG I totally forgot about that cheerleading picture! Do I want to admit that I'm in that group shot? haha I can make out who everyone is except the girl you're sitting next to. You were always so stinkin' cute Katherine! ~leah

Leah said...

Oh wait, Michelle Craun maybe? haha