Sunday, June 15, 2008

Family Secret Recipe...

So, I just made the most delicious lunch EVER...it was an eazy-bake version of my favorite Greek delicacy, spanokopita. I used a family secret ingredient. Maybe, you have used this product before...
Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastries. They are these delicious pastry cups/shells that come frozen, (they are located in the frozen food section, next to the pies and cakes.) Anyhoo - when they come out of the box, they are flat little cookies...once they are in the oven for about 20 minutes they rise into these buttery flakey morsels of goodness. You can use them for anything. My mom fills them with her Chicken a'la King mixture. I have began to use them as the phyllo replacement in my spanakopita-esque creation. (I bet they would be wonderful with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce too ;) The options are endless. Okay, enough of my infomercial and back to my new recipe...(I cook to taste, so the measurements may be a bit off.)
_____________________
- 1 pckg of Pepperidge Farm Puff Shells (large or small, my store just recently started carrying the product...actually just the small ones. They are just as delicious, and would make perfect appetizers!)
- butter
- 1/2 c. garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1/3 cucumber (chopped)
- 10 oz chopped spinach (frozen)
- salt & pepper
- 1 c. feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 egg
Go ahead and preheat your oven and place the pastry shells into the oven for the alloted 20 min. On the stove, saute the onions in the butter and garlic until clear. Then place the frozen spinach and cucumbers in with the onions. Once the spinach is thawed, Scramble the egg with a little bit of milk and pour while continually stirring the mixture. Add salt & pepper to taste. Continue to saute all ingredients until piping hot. Then you simply fill each of the pastry cups with your spinach concoction...VIOLA! It is delicious and much easier then layering phyllo leaves w. butter, I must add.

1 comment:

Patterson said...

Sounds yummy, I'll have to give it a try!